The Bounce Trumpet Awards recognize individuals and/or groups who augment the richness of this great global society by partnering with the cause of justice and equality of all. The awards were created to herald the accomplishments of black humanitarians who have succeeded against immense odds. Special recognition is given to the few, symbolic of the many, who have overcome the ills of racism and poverty and achieved greatness. Featuring some of the biggest names in television, film, music, politics and the arts, the event has been televised annually for over 25 years and distributed internationally to over 185 countries around the world. Past honorees include such luminaries as Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Ray Charles, President Nelson Mandela, Beyoncé, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and many more.
The Trumpet Awards were originally presented by Turner Broadcasting in 1993 before being transferred to The Trumpet Awards Foundation, Inc. the following year. 2017 introduced a new chapter for the awards when Bounce, the nation’s fastest-growing television network designed for African-American audiences, acquired all assets for the venerable awards from the Foundation, bringing a renewed focus to the awards.
The mission of The Bounce Trumpet Awards is to inspire, educate, stimulate and enlighten human minds to the reality that success, achievement and respect are void of color and gender. With that in mind, Bounce created seven distinct categories that honor those who have made significant contributions to “the quality of life for all.”
- The Game Changer Award recognizes a person of positive influence in their chosen field who is advancing their industry as a whole.
- The Rising Star Award honors those who are working diligently to achieve a goal that will improve the lives of others and make a lasting impact.
- The Impact Award is presented to those who promote positive movement for a community and advancing a shared political, social or artistic idea.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes those who have achieved amazing professional accomplishments and are role-models for others to similarly succeed.
- The Philanthropy Award is bestowed upon those that dedicate their time to fighting indifference, intolerance and injustice and who improve the quality of our lives.
- The Innovator Award honors a person who has introduced or created a new idea, method or product that influences the productivity or advancement of a group.
- The Trailblazer Award recognizes those that are at the forefront of an action or movement, those that blaze a new path for others to follow.
- The Music Innovation Award recognizes those courageous individuals who introduce new ideas, methods and influences to advance artists and the music industry as a whole.
- The Entrepreneur Award ecognizes an individual who exemplifies the capacity and willingness to develop, organize and manage a business venture, expanding the business’ profitability and productivity.
Those who, through consistency and longevity, have achieved success in a chosen profession or career are eligible for consideration. Potential honorees are those persons who are viewed not only for what they have individually achieved but also for the achievement they inspire in others.